The Hague

Information compiled by Adelheid Rech

Daina and her Companions, Johannes Vermeer

Diana and her Companions
Johannes Vermeer
c. 1653–1656
Oil on canvas, 98.5 x 105 cm.
Mauritshuis, The Hague

View of Delft, Johannes Vermeer

View of Delft
Johannes Vermeer
c. 1660–1663
Oil on canvas, 98.5 x 117.5 cm.
Mauritshuis, The Hague

Girl with a Pearl Earring, Johannes Vermeer Girl with a Pearl Earring
Johannes Vermeer
c. 1665–1667
Oil on canvas, 46.5 x 40 cm.
Mauritshuis, The Hague
travel & public transport

Het Koninklijk Kabinet van Schilderijen Mauritshuis / Royal Cabinet of Paintings Mauritshuis

  • address:
    Lange Vijverberg 12
    2513 AC The Hague
    NL 2513 AC Den Haag
  • phone/fax:
    tel: + 31 (0)70 302 3456
    fax: + 31 (0)70 365 3819
  • bookings and contact:
  • opening times:
    Tuesday through Saturday 10am-5pm Sundays 11am-5pm
    Opening times can be different during Holidays.
  • directions to the museum:
    From the railway station Den Haag Centraal 10 minutes walk:
    From the station's exit cross the street (tram stops) and straight on through the passage
    (housing of ministries of the government). Turn right to "Zwarteweg", follow it to
    next cross, turn left to "Herengracht." Follow till next cross, straight on to "Korte
    Porten" until the "Plein", a large meeting place (monument of William of Orange in the center).
    You can cross the place and will see the Mauritshuis to the left side.
  • public transport from central station:
    trams 10 (direction "Statenkwartier"), 16 (direction "Wateringen") or 17 ("Statenkwartier") until stop "Korte Voorhout" (next stop from central station!)

    Search also in the pages of HTM public transport
    (see also above ).
  • Attention:
    From April 2012 to c. mid-2014 the Mauritshuis will be closed due to extensive restoration
    and expansion (further information including a video with first impressions to the new design,
    see under "design", here:
  • For this period the Mauritshuis embarks on a unique collaboration with the
    Gemeentemuseum Den Haag [not as first planned, with the Haags Historisch Museum].
  • From 24 April 2012, around 70 highlights from the Mauritshuis collection will go on display
    to the Gemeentemuseum (Stadhouderslaan 41, details in the museum's homepage) for a period
    of about two years. The paintings include View of Delft and probably also Diana and her
    Companions by Johannes Vermeer, The Bull by Paulus Potter and The Anatomy Lesson of
    Dr. Nicolaes Tulp by Rembrandt van Rijn.
    Vermeer's famous Girl with the Pearl Earring will go on tour to Japan from July until
    December 2012. In any case please check the Essential Vermeer Interactive Vermeer-Catalogue
    resp. the Vermeer –Tracker before any
    planned Vermeer-trip.
  • A walk through the historic center of The Hague, starting from Mauritshuis to the "Binnenhof"
    (with the renowned "Ridderzaal" / Knights' Hall [guided tours for groups only/
    booking in advance]) – around "Grote of Saint Jacobs Kerk" (Constantijn Huygens sepulchred,
    only marked by a plain commemorative plaque; the church nowadays used solely for special
    events/fairs and a series of organ concerts in August. Fine carillon in the tower, playing each
    quarter of the hour) – Noordeinde Palace (working place of Queen Beatrix) and gardens
    (open to the public). [note: The recommended "Parkhotel" – see above – is situated close to the borders of Paleis
  • For a guided historic city walk see here:
  • Further touristic information to The Hague:
  • one day trip to Delft:

    Tram 1 (direction: "Delft Tanthof") from stop "Centrum" (at Hofweg / Buitenhof)
    until stop [Delft] "Prinsenhof" (previous stop: "Nieuwe Plantage"; c. 25-30 min.) – recommended
    for interesting views on The Hague and a nice way along the river Vliet.

    By train (central station: Intercity, direction: Venlo; c. 12 min.).
    Attention: When taking the sneltrein (Intercity) "Delft" is the next station; when taking astoptrein,""Delft" is the fourth stop (after "Rijswijck"; c. 17 min).
  • Touristic information about Delft:
  • Vermeer Combi Ticket:

    A very useful ticket for Vermeer-travelers, available at the Delft Tourist Information Point:
    Hippolytusbuurt 4 (on the way between Oude Kerk and Market Place, close to "Cameretten"
    2611 HN Delft with the popular fish-market)
  • The Vermeer Cube Walk

    (flyer with detailed information included in the Vermer Combi Ticket, see above)
    guides you to six principal places of Vermeer's life and work in his beloved hometown.
    The places are marked by cubes with detailed information to the respective place.
    They inlcude nearly all the principal places of a usual city walk, such as Oude Kerk
    (Old Church, with the tombstone and a commemorative plaque for Johannes Vermeer)
    and the Prinsenhof (the former residence of William I. "the Silent" until he was assassinated
    there in 1580 by the French fanatic Balthasar Gérard, now the Municipal Museum),
    the Markt (Market Place) with Nieuwe Kerk (New Church, housing the renowned
    mausoleum of William I. of Orange), and the splendidly decorated Stadhuis (City Hall).

    One of these places, on the location of the former Guild of Saint Luke at the Voldersgracht (a few steps from the Market Place) is the unique Vermeercentrum Delft which offers a detailed voyage of discovery through the life, work and city of Johannes Vermeer – a "must" for every Vermeer aficionado.
  • Delft City Tour: