Vermeer's in the World: Europe
The 35 (36?) paintings generally accepted as by Vermeer are divided between Europe (22) and America (14). The Saint Praxedis, which would be the 37th painting by Vermeer is only weakly supported by authorities, and it is only rarely on public view. Vermeer's Concert, once housed in the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston, was stolen in March 18, 1990 and has not been recovered . If you have any information regarding this theft, please report it to the FBI Art Theft Program. More information can be found by clicking here.
Between Amsterdam and The Hague (60 kilometers apart) there are seven Vermeer paintings including some of his finest works. Between New York and Washington (350 kilometers apart) there are 12 paintings a 13th, in private hands in New York.
If you are traveling specially to view one or more paintings by Vermeer, always contact the museum beforehand to be sure the painting(s) you wish to see are on display at the moment. Paintings can be on temporary loan or in restoration. Please check the COMPLETE VERMEER CATALOGUE to find out where each work is is presently located.
ROLL MOUSE OVER the names of the city+museum below to see which of Vermeer's paintings are in that museum.
For in-depth information about each museum and their websites, click on the name of the museum in the section below.
VERMEER MUSEUMS: EUROPE
- Amsterdam, The Rijksmuseum
- Berlin, Staatliche Museen Preußischer Kulturbesitz, Gemäldegalerie
- Brunswick, Herzog Anton Ulrich.Museum
- Dresden, Staatliche Kunstsammlungen, Gemäldegalerie
- Dublin, National Gallery of Ireland
- Edinburgh, National Gallery of Scotland
- Frankfut am Main, Städelsches Kunstinstitut, Frankfurt am Main
- The Hague, The Mauritshuis
- London, Buckingham Palace, The Royal Collection
- London, National Gallery
- London, Kenwood, English Heritage as Trustees of the Iveagh Bequest
- Paris, The Louvre
- Vienna, Kunsthisrisches Museum
BerlinTHE GIRL WITH A GLASS OF WINE
Herzog Anton Ulrich.Museum, Brunswick LADY WRITING A LETTER WITH HER MAID
National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin CHRIST IN THE HOUSE OF MARY AND MARTHA
National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh THE GEOGRAPHER